161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

1.29.2011 Ride #2. Joe

Squeezed in a second ride today.  Definitely a condition ride for the long trip.  Even though the temp was 71, the 14mph wind was not making this as pleasurable ride as the one this morning.  As I was out, I passed by Joe's house and I remembered that I said I would try to come by today to massage his arm.  So, I rode for about an hour and then swung by Joe's.
We were in Colorado in June of 2009, when we got word that Joe had had a biking accident and was paralyzed from the ncek down; his wheel got caught in the plank of a bridge.  At first, it was thought that he broke his neck.  But later it was discovered that he had a bone spur on his neck vertabrae that pinched into the spinal chord.  His accident certainly gave me pause, especially since I was about to leave on my Fayetteville, AR to Fayetteville, GA trip.  And, I too had nerve problems.  So, to be on the safe side, I had an MRI down and, sure enoguh, I had a bone spur as well.  The doctor said that, yes, if I was involved in some accident that caused trauma to my neck, like a car accident or a severe fall bike accident, it could be of concern.  But, he did not say that I shouldn't do the trip.  And I did.  One of the most memorable events in my life.  I would say that Joe probably was a strong influence in getting me more involved in road biking.  I had been riding a mountain bike and kept entertaining the idea of getting a road bike.  Joe was working out for Ride the Rockies and the idea of pursuing such a lofty road trip inspired me to finally make the switch.  So, thank you Joe.
2nd Ride today: 13.16 miles.  71 deg.  Miles YTD:  565.48

No comments:

Post a Comment