161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Friday, June 10, 2011

6.10.2011 Ride: All That Glitters...

Posting in arrears is making my head spin, especially since I'm writing about yesterday's ride when I already rode this morning.
I made it on on the streets of Paree by 6:45AM yesterday morning and the traffic was still relatively light for a large city.  In London, the streets would have already been heavy with traffic.  I was relying on the Velibe bike system to do the daily ride.  This is basically the same system in London that was causing me so much grief.  Fortunately, here, the system was in good working order and I had no problems getting a bike from the stations.

A good number of commuter bicyclists as well as scooters and motorcyclists.  And, I came across this skater who was making as good time as any bicyclist.


For the most part, cars are respectful of bicyclists, though, close passing of vehicles were par for the course.  On a small street, I was easily holding my own with the heavy traffic.

I happened to wander down a street that had several fruit stores, bakeries and butcher shops.  I stopped to buy some strawberries and cherries to bring back to the hotel room.

A very nice buffet spread for breakfast by the hotel and a bit of miscommunication made for an interesting menu fare.  By a sign that said yogurt, was a large bowl of what appeared to be yogurt.  I mentioned to Carol that it tasted rather rich for yogurt,   After enjoying a bowl full with the mini crepes, I made some further inquiries and found out it was actually sour cream.  Well, it was tasty.


We headed to Versailles with some mixed feelings.  As I have mentioned, "grandeur" doesn't really sit well with me and I find it difficult to separate the historical past of such places from the purely artistic view.
Top of gate at Versailles.

The main chateau was very busy when we arrived, so we went out to the gardens and made our way to the "smaller" getaway chateaus that the royalty had built which was a 20 minute walk from the main palace.  While there were some hints of the grand opulence at this getaway residences, I tried to focus on smaller details.  I believe I took a liking to the rose weaving and plaster wall relief below because of their elegant simplicity.




 Back in the grounds, this large stump sitting on its side measured about 8 feet high.  

 I'm not sure if the hotel room that we are staying in is much larger than the space in the railed area of Louis XIV's bed.  This was in his smaller residence.


Louis XIV's bed in main chateau.

Marie Antoinette's bed.  There was a small door off to the side where she exited to escape the rioting mob that had entered the palace.


What I really revel in are the small details such as this window lock.  


To my delight renting bikes to get around the grounds was an option.   We did get caught in the rain.


Ceiling in Hall of Mirrors.

An interesting side note:  Louis XIV had a silver throne and his throne room was filled with silver and gold.  But, a new war was raging and he was bankrupt so he ordered the throne melted down to make coins so that he could finance the war.


Back at the hotel.  Simple pleasure of viewing windows in the buildings across from ours.

Looking back on yesterday, the highlights were the bike ride in the morning and stopping to get the strawberries and then the wonderful dinner I had with Carol in the evening in a small out-of-way Italian (yes, Italian) restaurant where I had an authentic Caesar Salad with anchovies topped with a poached egg. 

Today, we are headed for Musee D'Orsay which has lots of Impressionists paintings and then Musee de Rodin, my most favorite sculptor.  

6.10.2011 Ride:  70mins.  10 miles.  52 degrees.  Miles YTD:  3,510.19

No comments:

Post a Comment