161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Friday, June 10, 2011

6.9.2011 Ride: London to Paris

Whew!  Very hectic past 24 heures.  Getting ready to head out so this will be a quick posting of yesterday's ride even though I did already get in today's ride. Lots of pictures and very little text.

The plan was to take the train through the Chunnel in the morning, so, I did a very early morning ride.  with London having a sunrise of 4:40, the challenge was on to do a sunrise ride.

One last aerial shot of the tables.  


 The hired bike from London Bikes.  I highly recommend them if you are in London.

 Yes.  That's 4:19 AM on Big Ben


 I really like this shot of the photographer waiting for the sun to rise to so that he can get St Paul in good lighting.  What I especially like is with his leg up and the legs from the tripod he appears as an amputee who is praying to the church.


St Paul's & cranes at sunrise.

Falling asleep on the train as we went through the tunnel, the trip under the Channel seemed so short that I wasn't certain we were actually in France until I finally spotted some cars on the road with the traffic driving in the right side. 

De-boarding, and catching a glimpse of the way the woman in front of me walked with such an air of confidence and elegance, I knew I was in Paris.

At the train station, Gare du Nord, which is comparable to Grand Central Station, Carol and I were a bit overwhelmed as we were both suffering from the lack of sleep.  It took us awhile to figure out how to get Metro tickets and that was after paying .70 Euros for the privilege of using the toilets, fending of pretty teenage faux deaf girls trying to collect money and young boys trying to sell us 10 metro tickets, cheap.  Arriving at the hotel, a jack hammer was in progress two rooms down so we asked to be moved.  Let's go for a walk, we said and we headed for the Eiffel Tower.  Cynic that I am, I was truly impressed.  It is an wonderous sight and lived up to the hype. 


Our mood changed dramatically when a Frenchman, who spoke and understood no English, offered to take out picture together in front of the tower.  When he took the camera, he gave it back to me and went to pose with Carol.  We had some good laughs as I went to pose with what I though was his wife but was his sister. 



Two different views of the Tower.


On the banks of the Seine

 Some views from our boat ride on the Seine.



I don't remember.



 Bridge Detail


 Musee D'orsay.  Was a train station and turned into a Museum


 Many, many interesting house barges.  I like that this one has satellite network.


Back on the Bank.



Arch de Triumphe.  With all the traffic, I'm just wondering exactly what has triumphed.

Atop The Palais Grande.


I'm getting the evil eye.  Need to go.  Lost of variuos thoughts about the trip but will have to write about all that at the end of the trip.  Without proof-reading, this is being psoted. :-)

9 June 20011 Ride:  60mins.  8 miles.  Miles YTD:  3,500.19

1 comment:

  1. Wow, to be in Paris where the Tour de France ends and on the Champs Elyesse (?) even. I loved your pics and was delighted that you posted the street art and the barge. I will probably never get to Paris but I love the city anyway. I've read so much about it and seen plenty of pictures. BTW, Jordan came through his bone marrow biopsy just fine. Won't know anything until Monday but things are looking better each day. I will try the email again. Thanks for your posts. I am enjoying them and look forward to them each day.

    ReplyDelete