161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

6.7.2011 Ride: When life Gives You Faulty Systems...

Here is the picture from The Royal hall of Justice that I couldn't get uploaded yesterday.


The sun was (is) shining through partly scattered clouds and there was a modest cool breeze.  On such a morning, surely the system would be happy and all would be right with the world.  But THE SYSTEM did not get the message.  As I strolled toward the bike shop to inquire about a bike for hire (when in London talk, like the Londoners), I passed another bike station and tried again.  Strike two.  A resident with a quick pass also had no luck.  The bike shop did not hire out bikes but he gave instructions to a place he thought did.  I passed another bike station.  Strike three.  On to The London Bicycle Tour Company located by The Thames.  At first, I thought that I would just rent a bike for an hour to get in my daily ride.  But, as I thought about it further, I did not need to have the continued hassle over whether the bike station would work, especially on Thursday when I plan to do a very early ride before heading to Paris.  Or, given that I was up to 2:00 AM last night, a midnight ride.  So, a two day rental it was.

I had a great exchange with Josie, who helped with the hiring of the bike at London Bicycles. 


Okay.  I'm back.  Everything above was written in the late morning as I waited for Carol to get back so that we could go out and about.  I have lots of pictures, it's already 10:15PM and I don't want to be up till midnight working on this, so, I'm going to rush through the remaining text.

After I got the bike, I rode along the walkway along the Thames for a bit and all felt right with the world on my new rental.  A big load was taken off my shoulder not having to worry if the bike stations would work or not.  In a tunnel, I came across an accordion player whose music was actually agreeable to me as I'm not usually a fan of the accordion.






And, here is my obligatory picture of Big Ben and The Parliament Building which was rather striking from my view along the Thames.



I was only able to get in about half of my ride before I had to get back to the hotel to meet up with Carol.  But with the sun setting at 9:00, that gave me plenty of time.  On the agenda today was St Paul's Cathedral and The Tower of London.  St. Paul's was indeed impressive and I liked it much more than Westminster Abbey.  Though, what I liked the best was the climb to the top of the dome which was 87 meters or about 270 feet high.  Once at the top, we walked on a small concrete catwalk of sorts around the top dome.  I have a fear of heights and I was nervous at first but before I knew it, the fears melted away and I was having a great time up there taking pictures.

I liked the building above that reminded me of a Faberge Egg.


I wondered if this was an old plaza that eventually became surrounded by modern buildings.


The Eye and Waterloo & Westminster Bridges on The Thames


I liked the looks of this building which reminded me of Cubism painting.


Millennium Bridge


Kylie was trying to take a picture of herself with The Thames in the background so I offered to take one for her with her camera.  We continued talking and I found out she was from New Zealand, via a 2 months trek through the U.S. which she enjoyed immensely.  I asked her to pose again for me.

It was with much regret that I descended back down.  I felt as if the most spiritual part of the building was there at the very top.  But, down I went.






We then made our way over to The Tower of London. Along the way we passed a monument by Christopher Wren in commemoration of the 1666 fire that burned down virtually all of London.


We arrived at The Tower with only an hour before they closed.  I found the sign by the ticket window a bit amusing.
I wondered if I could have asked for my voluntary deduction to be removed from the ticket price.

While seeing the Crown Jewels was interesting as was the old structures, all-in-all the visit there was disappointing as it seemed very touristy.
We finally arrived back at the hotel and I was exhausted, almost falling asleep when I lied down for a moment. Since the traffic was still so heavy, Carol had the great idea that we go eat dinner before I squeezed in the remainder of my ride.  It was an excellent suggestion as by the time I was on the road around 8:30ish, the traffic was much lighter and it was very enjoyable pedaling around.  Here was yet another time, where I was amazed how invigorated I felt being on the bike even though 30 minutes before I felt so wiped out.  It was a great ride.

The elevators in the hotel are glass and look down on the dining area.  I couldn't resist taking a picture.



Today's Ride:  65mins.  8 miles.  60 degrees.  Miles YTD: 3,473.69

No comments:

Post a Comment