161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Monday, June 6, 2011

6.6.2011 Ride: Systems That Try a Man’s Soul

If we can get a man to the moon…
Crazy... or devoted & determined…or both...you choose.  

It was with great hope and anxiousness that I ventured out this morning looking for a bike station.  Would my card be accepted or would I have to wander the streets of London seeking a bike station that would take my credit card?  I found a station nearby, gingerly put in the card, slipped it out and…Viola!  a code to get a bike was quickly provided.  This seemed promising and I had visions of riding all over London today.  My first stop was Westminster Abbey, followed by The National Gallery.  

The ride started down a very quiet business street with lots of small shops.  It quickly fed on to a much busier street and I headed for a bridge which would take me over the Thames and then the Abbey.  However, when I got to the other side, and wound my way looking for familiar streets, I found myself on Charing Cross, which meant that I had taken the wrong bridge.  That was okay.  First stop, after eating, would now be The National Gallery.

Small Road in Charing Cross

I have a tradition when I’m on bike trips to stop at small post offices that I pass and send Rachel a post card.  Passing a post office in Charing Cross, I thought to do that on this trip.  Going in was quite an experience.  Taking a number, I waited until an automated voice (activated by one of the 13 clerks) instructed “Ticket holder 104, please proceed to station N.”  The process was very efficient but humorously eerie as if we were robots waiting to be processed at the stations.  I will say that my clerk was very friendly.


At lunch, I sat at a small window counter looking out on the street as I ate and eventually, I became aware of a curious optical illusion.


This appears to be a typical street scene photographed out the window.  But, the woman walking in the white coat is actually walking in the opposite direction.  Right of the red post is a mirror and not a window so it is reflecting what is happening to the left of where I am sitting.  It wasn't until several minutes passed that I realized what was happening, thinking that the mirror was actually a window. That white cup on the counter is my lunch sitting in front of me.

A smaller part of The National Gallery is The National Portrait Gallery.  I went in, not expecting to spend too much time.  But, it turned out to be quite an exhilarating experience as I marveled at the intricate art work involved in creating some of the portraits.  Photographs were not allowed but I had to take at least one for the blog.

This painting, acrylic on linen, is about 9 feet long and 6 feet tall.  There was another one of a queen from the 1700s who was wearing a black dress with incredibly detailed lace work.  Even looking at it a few inches away it appeared to be a photograph of a real dress.  I wanted desperately to photograph that one as well but I didn't want to push my luck.

After a quick visit to The National Gallery to visit the Impressionists, I headed for the closest bike station, ready to slip my card in and be provided once again with an access code.  It was not to be.  Leaving that bike station I walked to another one where two guys were also having bad luck.  They were on the phone with the help line and it turned out something was wrong with the system.  So much for the grand plans of riding all over London.

Making my way towards Westminster Abbey on foot, I was in need of directions so I asked a gentleman who was waiting next to me for the light to change.  He happened to be going in the same direction I needed to go so we walked and talked.  He turned out to have an interesting background as a British diplomat but he seemed reluctant to expand on his position; I believe more out of humbleness than because he had something to hide. His name was Hooky Walker and here is a bit of info that I garnered after Googling him:


From 1956 to 1992 he was a career diplomat, serving as British Ambassador to Bahrain (1979-81), the United Arab Emirates (1981-86), Ethiopia (1986-1989) and Iraq (1990-91).  Since retiring in 1992 he worked almost entirely in the voluntary sector having been President of CARE International from 1997 to 2001.  From 2001 to 2008 he was Chairman of the Royal Society for Asian Affairs.  Interesting who one might run into.

 On to Westminster Abbey.


The building is indeed impressive as are many of the old structural sights.  To think that this was built back in the 1300s is really extraordinary.  Though, I wanted to try and focus on details.  Walking to the main entrance, I passed this small side door which captured my attention as much as the grand tall towers.




Relief from left side of door.

Maybe it was because I was getting tired, maybe I was frustrated because of the bike situation, maybe it was the crowds but once inside the Abbey, I wanted to leave.  The ceilings were amazing with their arches though the rest left me empty.  "What about all that history?" David asked me when I got back.  Well, there is that though there is something about grandeur and opulence that just doesn't sit well with me. So, I made a tour and left, looking once again for a bike station to complete my daily ride.

Thankfully, the system was working again and I was glad to be back on wheels.  I headed for Hyde Park, a trek that was further than I anticipated. Once there, I had to dock the bike so that I wouldn't be charged and then get another one, which meant acquiring a new access code.  I was hesitant to do so but I had hoped the system was permanently back on track.  However, when I swiped the card, the results were negative.  I was too far from our hotel to walk back so I caught a train and made my way to a bike station nearby.  I only had about 10 minutes left to fulfill my ride for that day and the perfectionist in me would not let it go at 50 minutes.  Fortunately, the station worked and off I went for another 12 minutes.


I tried to stay on quiet streets as I had enough of competing with the traffic.  Though, I must say, one hasn't biked until one has had a double-decker bus riding on one's back fender down a London avenue.   I wish I could have taken a picture of that.

Walking back to the hotel, I tried to capture The Eye in a somewhat different perspective. I like the feel of it being a giant spoked-wheel that has broken free and is rolling through the streets of London



Attendees of the conference were treated to dinner at the Royal Hall of Justice.  I captured this picture in one of the hallways.
(Well, it seems as if the server just does want to upload this last picture. I will try again tomorrow.)

And...I noticed a bike shop not far from here. If I encounter problems again tomorrow, I will see if they rent bikes

Today's Ride: 62 minutes. 8 miles. 59-65 degrees. Miles YTD: 3,465.69

No comments:

Post a Comment