161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

6.2.2011 Ride: To Sleep, Perchance to Dream -

Yes, I delight in sunrise rides, but do I really need to wake at 3:30 to make sure I don't miss out?  Such is life. 
Mounting a bike lamp on my helmet (with duct tape no less), I set off at 5:00.  Even with a bright flashing red light on my backside, Hwy 45 can be a bit unnerving as cars approach from behind.  There are few at that time, but when one comes, a glaring white light fills my mirror and I have no idea if the vehicle is moving over until it has passed.  I seem to rely on my hearing more, listening for subtle variations that give me a clue to how far over a car may be.  Fortunately, everyone who passed, gave me a very wide berth with most moving completely over into the other lane.  And, fortunately, I am on 45 for just over a mile. 

I covered much of the same route as two days ago when I experienced the very spectacular sunrise.  Today was very different.  The sky seemed to offer the potential for a very colorful display with views of space sandwiched between layers of clouds.  But the morning was very humid and the damp, heavy air felt as if it was permeating everything, including the sunrise.  Show time was approaching but the clouds and horizon remained mostly grey.  Passing a Queen Anne's Lace bloom, I thought I would create my own bit of a lightness.


A little further up the road, I came across the Mack dump truck that, for some reason, has been giving me a reason to smile every time I have passed it this past week.  A Mack, the quintessential truck and this one just feels like a classic.  I envision buying it, doing who knows what with it, and just having fun driving it around.  Even Rachel made a comment when we passed it saying the truck would be fun to drive to school.  

A few minutes later, I did come across a bit of color but, again, it felt washed out and tired, showing up but not very excited about being here. That's okay.  We all have days like that.



A special note to Sharon who I have thought about a lot lately as her friend's 23 year-old son deals with the very recent diagnosis of cancer.  I especially think of you every time I take a picture of the sky.  May all go well.

Oh, yes.  I'm leaving Saturday on a special 10 day trip.  The title of today's post hints at my initial destination.

Today's ride:  1hr 34mins.  17.21 miles.  69 degrees.  Miles YTD:  3,414.83

No comments:

Post a Comment