161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Monday, April 11, 2011

4.11.2011 Ride: Profiles

An errand ride today down to the Mission & Crossover area.  Just by happenstance, today's photos turned out to be all faces, albeit covering a wide spectrum.  A face that I would have liked to include today is my sister-in-law Nancy's to accompany her great litter story.  She told me that when she was recently volunteering to clean up along the highway she  "concocted a story in my head about how all these items tied to the same littering person."  I thought that was such a wonderful idea.  Among the items that she picked up that day were...a dental flosser, many cigarette butts, two spent bullet casings, a Powerball ticket, one man’s sock, a surgical glove tied into a knot and a Lynyrd Skynyrd CD.  That would make for an interesting story.
 

This dog did come rushing toward the road as I approached.  I got off and talked to him and he quieted down but never let down his guard.  He had on an invisible fence shock collar but I wondered if it was even working.  He kept looking back to his golden lab buddy who also had a shock collar on but seemed to have less roaming room as he was a good fifty feet back.  He has a face that could be the basis for some good stories.



A MUCH friendlier face awaited me at the Harp's pharmacy.  I had several questions for Holly which somehow led to biking and my daily ride.  So, naturally, I asked Holly if she would be part of the blog today and I'm glad she said yes.

I was getting close to home and thinking that it was going to be a slow picture day, which would have been fine.  But as I came off of Gulley Rd. ( a not very busy street) and turned on to Hwy 45 (which is fast and can be busy), there was a large turtle just crossing the line from the shoulder and getting ready to make its way on to the main road.  His/her prospect for making a successful crossing were not good.  I parked in the grass and carried him/her to the other side, hoping that that is where he/she wanted to go. Talk about a face with character.


While I was lying down to get a good shot of the turtle, a truck stopped as it turned on to Gulley.  I thought he was wondering what I was photographing but he wanted to make sure I was all right.  It didn't occur to me that I must have struck a rather injured pose lying on the side of the road almost flat on my side.  I told him I was trying to take a picture and thanked him for his concern. 

A very colorful piece of litter today that is worthy of a large picture.  I like to try and take a picture of the litter as I first see it and this is the case here.  On first glance,  it almost looks as if it's the shedded skin of some colorful snake or a lobster.  This is actually a large bow.

Today's Ride:  1hr 43mins.  18.32 miles.  61 degrees.  18 - 28mph winds.  Miles YTD:  1,858.51

2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you helped the turtle across the road. I use to be a bookkeeper and went to a store way out in the country to pick up their monthly work. I often saw turtles crossing the road and stopped to help them across. I love your blog and always enjoy the daily photos. Happy Anniversary a little late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sharon. Glad to see we share a love of trying to get turtles safely across the road. Kudos for all your efforts. And thanks again for your comments regarding the blog which are very much appreciated. Since most restaurants were closed Sunday and then Carol was out of town, we are still trying to get in our anniversary dinner. So, your Happy Anniversary wishes are not really late at all.

    ReplyDelete