161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

4.24.2011 Ride: A Wet One

The National Weather Service has certainly been calling it correctly the past couple of days.  The storm predicted for the middle of the night came through as forecast.  Oddly, it never fully woke me up but I kept incorporating the storm into my dreams which had to do with bike riding with Ted and Cliff.  I don't recall the exact details.  The storm subsided and when I woke later to a darkened room without the familiar glow of my clock, I was confused at first, thinking that I must still be on the bike trip in a hotel room.  The power clicked on just as I got out of bed at 6:15.  Checking the weather, it looked as if the sooner I could hop on the bike the better as the chance of rain and storms only increased during the day.

I didn't have to ride far to see affects of the night's storm.  Remember our apple trees that were full of blossoms?  Alas, after 15 or so years, one succumbed to the winds.  The only consolation is that apple wood is great in the smoker when I do salmon.


I didn't get out until 7:00 and the next storm was scheduled for 7:30.  There was heavy fog and that seemed to be a good sign as I don't recall it ever storming in those conditions.


Even though I was only riding in the neighborhood, I rode with flashing lights on front and rear.   Riding in the fog was really beautiful.  And, sure enough, like clockwork, at 7:30 it began to lightly rain and, yes, through the fog, I saw flashes of light followed by thunder.  As the fog thinned out some, the intensity of the lightening increased.  Logic would dictate to think about taking cover.  But who ever said this was a sane journey?  Maybe if I rode faster, the lightening wouldn't get me.  Right.  Even reaching 20mph on a downhill I'm sure is very intimidating to a bolt of energy traveling 186,000 miles per second.  Maybe my rubber tires will negate the fact that I'm sitting on a piece of metal.  Wishful thinking.  And there I was, basically on top of a mountain sticking out like a very sore thumb, one of the most prominent lightening attracters around.  I headed for the Big Hill where I wouldn't be so exposed.  Wouldn't you know it; as soon as I got down there, the lightening subsided.  Must have been the 100 foot drop that got me out of the storm.

I stopped to take a picture of a box turtle but Lupe came along and the turtle closed up very quickly.  After a bit of time down below, I headed back up to the top and, what do you know; the thunder was back though not with the same intensity.


The fog was increasing as well (so much for my theory) and I was really hoping to get a picture of a horse standing out in the pasture in the fog.  But, I guess they had more sense than me as they had gathered in a group around the small barn.  All this time it was raining sometimes heavily for brief moments but never torrential.  I had hoped that it might hail for a bit so that I could add that to the conditions that I have ridden in.  That will have to wait for another time.


Yesterday was definitely a good "day of rest" as I felt re-energized today and ready to take on a long day if I had to.  Though, it did feel good to get back home and take a hot shower.

One more picture.  Carol and I have a tradition of positioning a stuffed bear and moose on our bed in varying ways, many times reflecting what may be going on in our lives.  After I came out of the shower, I thought the scene Carol created was very appropriate.


To my friends, followers, readers of the Christian faith, a very Happy Easter to you.

Today's Ride: 64mins. 8.5 miles.  55 degrees.  Rain. Lightening.  Miles YTD: 2,358.28

2 comments:

  1. Philip, if everyone was as positive as you we would have a perfect world! Today's blog covers it all: humor, nostalgia, faith, wit, disaster (sort of--sorry about your apple tree), meteorology and as usual some neat pictures. Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the very kind words, Colene. I guess I have my blog followers to thank as they inspire me to do my best!

    ReplyDelete