161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Friday, May 27, 2011

2.27.2011 Ride: Stage One & Stage Two Rides

Carol and David were on their way home from being out-of-town for several days and Rachel was away at a school activity so I was on my own for yesterday’s evening walk.  This meant that when I came upon some fern grass (for lack of knowing what it is really called) on the side of the road, I could stop and take pictures without holding up the walk. 


The fern portion is about 5-6 inches in length
The interesting thing about the stop is that I became absorbed in this tiny piece of environment just off the road that I pass every day.  Nothing overtly spectacular yet I became fully absorbed, eventually, sitting down to get a better picture and then lying down flat on the ground to get an angle that had the sky for a backdrop.  Fortunately, no one drove by while I was prone for I’m sure they would have thought I was injured.  Why else would a grown man be lying on the side of the road? 

Close up


When I was done focusing on this 5-6 inch display of grass, I looked up and the combination of the trees, clouds and sky took me by surprise as if they had materialized out of the blue.  There was something very surreal about their appearance.




This morning when I awoke, I hadn't planned on a sunrise ride but it was such a beautiful morning that I didn't need much convincing to quickly gear up and hop on the bike.  A bit cooler than it has been, 52 degrees, but very little wind and low humidity.  I was out about ten minutes before sunrise, in time to see the sky transform through many shades of color.





I have had my eye on this dead branch that extends over the road from a live oak tree.  I think I may have included a picture of it in an earlier posting.  It's spidery branches against the sky keeps captivating me.  I especially liked it this morning with the moon behind.


There is a young painted horse in the pasture that has a personality that stands out.  He is very alpha with the other two horses in the pasture.  The other day was the first time that he would come close enough to the fence to smell my hand but no further.  He was close to the fence this morning and they were just standing around, digesting I believe, so I was able to get a couple of good shots of him.





I labeled today's ride "Stage One?" because I am driving Rachel up to soccer practice up in Bella Vista this afternoon.  While she is practicing, I am hoping to ride the bike trails up there.  If so, I will update today's post this evening.

Today's Morning Ride:  61mins.  10.7 miles.  52 degrees.  Miles YTD:  3,094.32
Today's Afternoon Ride: Bella Vista/Bentonville. 80mins.  15.19 miles.  75 degrees.  Miles YTD:  3,109.51

2 comments:

  1. Is it my imagination or does this horse have two different colors of eyes? Maybe it is the lighting. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it right. Part of its unique personality!

    ReplyDelete