161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Monday, May 16, 2011

5.14.2011 Ride: Little Rock-North LIttle Rock

The three days of hard riding had definitely worn on me.  If it were not for the daily ride challenge, this day would have been an off day.  The first three photos were taken while enjoying a walk along the River Trail.

Bridge across Arkansas River connecting North Little Rock to Little Rock.  Taken from NLR side.








Before Rachel's game, we drove to have lunch at Panera's off of Cantrell/Hwy 10.  I had just passed that way yesterday.  There is an odd and satisfying feeling returning to a spot that is from the journey.  I feel an intimate connection.  More than just a store, I see a trail that runs almost 200 miles from there to a point west and north.  Long journey biking most definitely changes my perspective on how I view the world.


I first tried taking a photo of this large cast iron elbowed pipe from the side as the heftiness and color appealed to me.  But it just wasn't happening.  The flash went off when I took the above shot which really lit up the screen.  I'm not sure why, but I find this picture intriguing.






Nothing spectacular about this bridge, at least not physically.  But it represents something very powerful as it is a pedestrian/bicycle bridge to help extend the River Trail into Maumelle.  I find it very exciting that a bridge is being built for the sole purpose of a bike trail.


I finally figured out the wide view shot on my camera and was finally able to capture a view of the Big Dam Bridge that I believe helps capture its size.  It, too, is a marvel of the dedication to developing a great bike trail.


With some renewed energy (and the wind at my back), I followed the trail more extensively before heading back toward the high school for Rachel's second game of the tournament.  Her team advanced to the state semi-finals.

Today's Ride:  1hr 46mins.  20.63 miles.  60 degrees and windy.  Miles YTD:  2,880.74

3 comments:

  1. We are glad to have you back online and that you had a safe journey. The old car was not included in your "faces" theme but I like that one. Tom sees a gorilla in your profile of an old women. All of your pics are neat so I won't comment on all of them individually but I especially like your panoramic one of the bridge. Go Lady Bulldogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One minor correction (since I'm a nitpicker :)) - the new bridge connects the trail across the Little Maumelle River into what is called Two Rivers Park (where there are some nice trails already). It will eventually create a bypass of west LR for ped/bike traffic coming in from Hwy 10/300/etc via Pinnacle Mtn. Road.

    There is some rumblings that a project to build some sort of trail continuance on the north side towards Conway via Maumelle may come about next (since LR's priorities are maintaining the status quo of keeping the Dillards and the Stephens happy), if you don't know the entire back story to the LR river trail gap I'd be happy to fill you in over email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the comments, Adam and setting things straight with the Maumelle trail. That will be great when it connects all the way through to Hwy 300! I guess I hit the Pig Trail at a good time as there was very little traffic and the cars that passed were very respectful.

    ReplyDelete