161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Friday, May 6, 2011

5.6.11 Ride: What Kind of Weather is This?

A beautiful foggy morning and a couple of shots from this morning's walk.






I spent a good part of the morning in the garden, pulling some weeds, putting down newspaper and then covering that with a thick layer of hay and straw.  What struck me besides the short-sleeved temperature was the lack of wind.  It seems as if it's been one very long year of one type of storm after another and the very pleasant day seemed so out of place.

Yesterday's very emotional high while riding really took me by surprise because the couple days before I had been feeling very weary.  I had reached the four month mark as well as 2,500 miles.  With those two milestones down, that still left a lot of year to cover and I think I found myself in a state of mind that explorers must find themselves in after months of traveling yet still many miles to go; the uniqueness and the freshness of the challenge wears a bit thin.  I by no means feel like throwing in the towel; I am just giving a very honest assessment of how I'm feeling.  A challenge would not be a challenge if it came by easily.

Rachel had a soccer game this afternoon so my destination was the high school with a couple of errand stops along the way.  I headed down toward Habberton Road and was amused by the butterfly that flew alongside me for about 30 seconds.  I took the camera out and snapped a couple of blind shots while riding in the hopes of capturing the butterfly in flight next to me.  But all I got was a tree and an out-of focus member of the lepidoptera family.  Immediately after the butterfly veered away, as if on cue, a dragonfly took its place and I tried again snapping blindly in its direction.




Just a couple of more pictures from today. 



I often pass Dale or Michelle outside of their home on Guy Terry and I give a passing hello as I glide by.  Today, I stopped to chat.
Michelle, Dale & Michelle's Dad.
We know each other from way back when our sons were in elementary school together.  Dale was showing me their pool that is cleaned by a salt process.  A really very cool method with none of the chlorine feel or burning with much simpler maintenance.  I thought it was worth mentioning.

The early part of the today's ride, I experienced that same sensation as out in the garden where the day seemed so unusual.  The miles went easily and smoothly and if I didn't have time constraints I certainly would have done more.  


Today's Ride:  2hrs. 4mins.  Miles: 22.43.  76 degrees Miles YTD:  2,595.84

No comments:

Post a Comment