161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

5.31.2011 Ride: The Beginning of Time

Another early morning wake up call, another opportunity to do a sunrise ride.  I had really hoped to sleep late (5:30 or 6:00) but it was not to be.  It was a dark and stormy looking morning when I made it on the road at 5:30 with just enough light to ride without supplemental lighting.

I ventured out, taking Hwy 45, which was very quiet that early, and wound my way through various quieter roads.  The sky, with its variations of grey boiling clouds, had me constantly looking upward.  But, it didn't seem to promise a sunrise of any note.  Some nice shades of pinks were forming on the horizon and I expected them to quickly fade into greys.  At least I have one decent sunrise picture, I thought.

Old Wire Rd. near Rom Orchard Rd.
Very quickly, though, things changed dramatically.  It's one of the other reasons I love riding in the morning.  Within one hour, the sky can go through enormous transformations.  Often, I feel as if I am at the beginning of the creation of the Universe.  Today was one of those experiences.



I took the above picture, again expecting the colors to quickly fade as the sun moved higher up into the clouds.  I was turning my bike around, a bit eager to get back before the traffic became too heavy on Hwy 45.  I'm beginning to pedal away when the sun takes me completely by surprise as it peeks up above the horizon.  I thought for sure it had already risen several minutes ago.


 The sky had me in its clutches and there was no way I was leaving.  I calculated that I would still get back to 45  by 6:30, not too bad especially since I would be going away from town with most of the traffic coming from the opposite direction.  One more glorious picture and I was on my way.




The traffic continued to be light on Old Wire and I zipped along almost effortlessly, the colors in the sky now definitely fading and the light show giving way to blues and greys.  I did have to stop to take the photo below.  I feel for these folks.  They had just finished repairing their fence from a car failing to navigate the sharp curve when, two days later, deja vu.


Maybe an iron wall is in order.

The fiery beginnings of the Universe finally settled down and gave way to calmer skies.


All of the above in probably a 20 minute span of time.  It was great. 

Today's Ride:  1hr 27mins.  17.21 miles.  73 degrees.  15mph winds.  Miles YTD:  3,370.28

No comments:

Post a Comment