161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

5.22.2011 Ride: Meeting Nate

I took a small ride this morning, leaving about 6:20 and getting back by 7:00.  Rachel and I plan to go for a ride together later but I had the urge to just jump on the bike and get a morning ride in.  I think I needed it after my ride yesterday which left me feeling a bit empty.  Bill's death still loomed over me as I rode and the anxiety of riding with cars, even on quiet roads, was sucking the joy of bike riding out of me.  I wanted to reclaim that joy of riding this morning, going out early on a Sunday when there was virtually no cars on Hwy 45.
Having a certain amount of anxiety when a car passes is normal and even healthy as it helps sharpen the senses to the dangers of a car whipping by at 60 or more miles an hour.  But that anxiety is not normal when it is present when cars are not even going by and I think that is what has been happening the past few days. 
I knew that setting off on this journey, of riding every day of 2011, would provide various challenges.  I was least concerned about the physical challenge as I felt I certainly was in good shape.  As the mental challenges came up, I seemed to adapt to them well.  At times, they have proven rather stressful but never overwhelming.  The emotional one-two punch from Bill's death has taken me by surprise.  Perhaps it's hitting harder because it is coming when I was already struggling with keeping the spirits up in the middle of the journey, a point in time when I think the spirits naturally drag. 
That, of course, is what makes this a journey of note; confronting challenges and obstacles and finding a way to prevail. 

Shortly after the above was written, Rachel woke up and informed me that she realized she had too much work to do for a long ride.  Wanting to get in more riding, I hopped back on the bike, planning to be back in an hour.  Just a short ways up the hill on Hwy 45, I came across Nate who was hitch-hiking on the other side of the roa.  We exchanged a hearty hello and I then turned around to see if I could get his picture.


Originally from Burnsville, Minnesota, he has lived all around the country, a self-proclaimed hobo.  He was in Fayetteville for a few days and headed back to Eureka Springs where he currently lives.  Besides toting his backpack, he was also carrying a guitar case.   

We had a very good exchange and as I rode off, I thought of how rarely I come across a hitchhiker when I'm out bike riding.  His presence out on the road this morning seemed particularly out of place to me.  There was something about our exchange, our micro-relationship as I like to call them, that lifted my spirits.  I found myself riding along Hwy 45 with a renewed confidence with the fears and anxieties I talked about this morning practically gone.  The joy of riding was back.  Thank you, Nate.  I only hope that his encounter with me may have somehow inspired or had some meaning for him as well.

I was headed on a 10 mile loop that would take me around to Habberton Rd for the climb up Hwy 45 to my street.  Hitting Habberton, I caught up with Pat Murray who had texted me earlier that morning to see if I wanted to go riding.  Earlier in the morning, I thought I would be riding with Rachel fairly soon after she woke up.  So, it was good to ride with him for a couple of miles to his car which was parked on Habberton by 45 at the bottom of the hill.  I bid him goodbye and rode effortlessly up the hill.  Being back in the saddle felt very good.

At 11:00, Rachel and I took off for our ride.  Rather, we drove to a spot about 3 miles away which would avoid Hwy 45; I may have regained my confidence for traveling on that road but I wasn't willing to have Rachel out there.  We connected up with the bike trail and rode to Memorial Park where we had our picnic.
We sat on the grass next to a large tree that had extensive carpenter ant damage on a large portion of the exposed trunk.  After lunch, I took about 20 pictures on the macro setting trying to capture one of the ants scurrying across the tree.  Only one came out.

The entire frame of the picture covers about four square inches, if that.  
A good head wind on the way back but at least the very threatening clouds held up.  Though, because of how humid it was, Rachel wouldn't have minded it if we had gotten rained on.

Today's 3-segment Ride:  3hrs 3mins.  31.76 miles.  78 degrees.  HUMID.  Miles YTD: 3,018.77

No comments:

Post a Comment