161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

5.8.2011 Ride: Happy Mother's Day



A relatively short ride this morning with a semi-busy day ahead of taking the food donation to the church for the Community Meals and then working on the Mother's Day dinner for Carol.  Dinner for 2 - 3 months from now is in the ground and her "card" awaits her as she returns home from out of town.  She loves home-grown tomatoes.



After doing a couple of laps in the neighborhood so that Lupe could get his workout, I headed east on Hwy 45 and then turned on Wyman Rd.  I thought that I might take a few shots of flowers in honor of Mother's Day, though, nothing really spectacular grabbed me.  I reached my turn around point for the day where, to the right, Wyman turns into a dirt road for about a mile and, to the left, the road starts making its ascent over Round Mt.  As I'm turning around, I happen to look over to my right and I'm really in awe of what I"m seeing.  It's as if it appeared out of nowhere.  It's a large standing, mostly bark-less tree trunk but from my perspective it reminds me of a goddess statue from ancient times.  What an appropriate image to see on Mother's Day. 






I spent several minutes with the tree trunk, taking various shots and generally being amazed by the beauty of this stark trunk.

Just down the road, this field of yellow caught my eye. 


And, another patient flycatcher.



A blackberry blossom may just be the quintessential flower of the country mom.  When I think of blackberries, I think of going out along country roads and fields, collecting the berries and then canning them.  Not that that is what my mother did, but I'm sure Madison Avenue would love the image.


And, on an entirely different note that has nothing to do with Mother's Day, there is Josh.
On my ride back home, I circled through my neighbor Steve's driveway to ensure that I hit the 15 mile mark on my ride today.  Passing through, there was someone on the porch working on a bike.  It turned out to be Steve's friend Josh who is down from Kansas City for the Joe Martin Stage Race.  We talked a bit and he told me that this race is his first one in 8 years.  He thought he was about 40th out of 80 riders which I thought was very good giving how long it's been since he has competed.  And, he's been riding with the top riders, so even more impressive.  One more race today and he will be happy to finish in one piece given the number of accidents that have happened on the course.  
Steve had some very bad luck yesterday when a rider's hub ran into Steve's wheel breaking several spokes.  No crash but Steve was unable to finish yesterday's stage so he is out of the race.  
Meeting and talking with Josh reminded me of my adventures on the road and meeting people.  It was great to have that experience right on my own street.  


Today's Ride:  1hr 21mins,  15.07 miles.  72-81 degrees and hello humidity.  Miles YTD:  2,631.09

No comments:

Post a Comment