161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Monday, May 30, 2011

5.30.2011 Ride: Memorial Day - Part One

I was not happy when I awoke at 4:15 as I desperately needed a longer night of sleep.  Closing my eyes, the trick was pretending that I didn't care if I fell back asleep or not but, rather, I would act as if I wanted to just lie in bed for a few minutes longer.  It worked and the next thing I knew it was 5:30.  Now I was eager to get out of bed as I've become hooked on the sunrise rides.  Quickly gearing up, I was out on the road with about 10 minutes to spare. 
I headed west this time on Hwy 45, towards town with the eastern sky behind me quickly turning into a bright golden glow.  There is a special anticipation waiting for the sun to first show itself: where will it pop up, where will I be, what will the sunrise look like that day.  It's a huge giant gift box that I'm eagerly unwrapping with the lifting of the final box-flap revealing my sunrise present of the day. 


I was keenly aware that it is Memorial Day today.  I was very saddened to read on a posting this morning that someone mentioned they had no idea what Memorial Day was about.  This was an adult.  It seems incomprehensible to me that a person wouldn't at least know what this day represents.

Back in the mid 1960s, I remember mys sister coming home and relating a story of trying to do the right thing and politely letting someone know that his headlights were on.  The man's response, "I know."  This was back when headlights did not come on automatically and no one drove with their headlights on during the daytime.  It took my sister, who was 16 or 17 at the time, a moment to grasp the meaning of the man's response; it was Memorial Day and the tradition was to drive with one's lights on in remembrance.

 It's a wonderful tradition though, unfortunately, driving with one's headlights on now becomes meaningless.  Ironically, I find many cars driving in the low light of dawn without their headlights.

 So, for all those have died, for all those have served, I have my lights on for you today.

Bike riding in the morning can present a problem when heading east into the sun.  There are spots where the road, the incline and the sun all align for a very blinding display.  It is almost impossible to see what is up ahead.  I try to avoid these situations but sometimes it's inevitable.  The bigger concern is any cars coming up from behind.  Fortunately, this morning, when I hit this perfectly blinding light, no cars passed me. 



Getting back to the neighborhood just before 7:00, I expected to get back home before anyone was awake.  I did a loop to finish off my hour and came across a jogger.  It turned out to be my son David. 

I take Rachel up to Bella Vista for soccer practice again today, as I will do two more times this week.  I plan to do another ride while she is practicing.  

This morning's ride:  62mins.  11.97 miles.  71-75 degrees. 20mph winds.  Miles YTD:  3,339.99

No comments:

Post a Comment