161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5.4.2011 Ride: Happy Birthday, Sol!!!

No good excuse.  It happened while I was away on the Texas-Oklahoma ride. My cousin Sol's birthday was on April 21.  I was riding in the rain from Waurika, OK to Gainesville, TX and his birthday passed right over me.  So, I want to honor him today, my very special cousin that I basically grew up with and we went through a lot together.  We are more like brothers than cousins.  For Sol, some flowers and other festive pictures.

A dozen pink wild roses.


A couple of dozen more for being late!


An unusual (and festive looking) column.

Okay.  Nothing festive looking about this.  But, I sure got a kick out of this Arkansas "alligator" lurking in the ditch of the side of the road.

Sol shares my love for dogs so a daily ride honoring him has to include a dog.
This dog did come charging and barking at me in a threatening manner and she does look a bit menacing.  But, I was in very good form today with my sweet-talk approach.  I dismounted from the bike before she even reached me, got down into a squat and called her over in a very sweet manner.  She stopped in her tracks a bit confused but she gave herself away with a small friendly wag of her short tail.  I called her over again.  Slowly she approached.  I ignored her and let her come around to my back side and, thankfully, gave me a sniff and not a bite out of my rear.  She then let me pet her.  Her companion...
kept looking to his bigger friend for how to react but he never gained the confidence to come over.  Notice the broken chain hanging from his collar.  
 
A birthday celebration wouldn't be complete without a cake...of sorts.
A nine layer one at that.  Or maybe it's a large pinata.  I think the lean gives it a more classic flair.


And, to finish off the day, an iris orchid.

A VERY HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY, Sol!

Today's ride:  1hr 32mins.  17.39 miles.  67 degrees.  Miles YTD:  2,560.20

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for ya pics.. I was searching twisted columns in google...!!! Good to see in your blog...It would be nice if you can help me to get more details of the same...!!! :) Thank U for the pic again..!!

    ReplyDelete