161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Monday, May 16, 2011

5.13.2011: Fayetteville - Little Rock: Day 3

Being rather tired from the second day of riding, I set the alarm for 5:00 AM just in case I might actually sleep.  Not to worry, I was up by 4:30.  This was the chilliest of the three mornings with stars visible in the sky.  Since I would be traveling on a very quiet road, I set off a bit earlier than the day before as I was not concerned about traffic. 
Another beautiful morning for riding along the mountain ridge which ran for several miles.  It was with some regret that I headed down the hill.  Since it dropped so sharply, the descent offered some spectacular views of the valley.  I was definitely glad I was going down and not up as this was quite a hill.  It may not have been three miles of Crooked and Steep, but whatever its length (1-2 miles), was of a constant steep grade that did not let up.  Going around the hairpin curves was a bit scary as the grade became even steeper and left me with the feeling that I could flip over head over heels.  I always breathe a sigh of relief when I reach the bottom of these sorts of hills.
Road leading down from Petit Jean

The traffic remained mostly very light for the roads I was traveling on.  Paris yesterday, Houston, Arkansas today.  A railroad track, old convenience store and this nice old church.
Houston, AR

Looking on a map, one is never quite sure what a road has to offer.  Hwy 300 is a case in point for this trip.  I kept studying it, wondering if I should follow that road which would be a bit longer but probably quieter, or take the shorter route which would put me on Hwy 10 leading into Little Rock, which would definitely be busier.  I decided on Hwy 300 which turned out to be a great decision.  I barely saw any cars and it passed through some very pretty countryside.

Hwy 300 near Wye, AR




I would expect a Little Italy as part of a big city but not as a name of a town out in the country.  I was curious to see what in the town made it "Italian."  The closest thing was the marquee of the Catholic Church that was promoting a spaghetti dinner.



House near Roland, AR, Hwy 300




Even with the hills, this third day of riding went very easily and smoothly.  The right scenic road certainly helps.
Pinnacle Mountain, off Hwy 300 and very close to Little Rock

Hwy 300 ended at Hwy 10.  Just outside Little Rock it was five lanes with a shoulder which quickly turned to five lanes without a shoulder.  The traffic was light enough this far out and this early in the day that I wasn't too concerned about taking up the right lane.  Still, I was eager to hit the side streets that would lead me to the bike trail.  That came about 2 miles later and the route I had chosen turned out to be a good one.  Coincidentally, one of the roads was marked as a bike route. 
I crossed Hwy 10 again and picked up the bike trail which runs along the river and crosses the Big Dam Bridge.  The wind was really gusting and probably reached speeds of up to 30-35mph on the bridge. 

Big Dam Bridge, Little Rock-North Little Rock

I worked my way along the trail toward downtown North Little Rock and then north toward the high school.  As luck would have it, I happened to choose a road that led me the main entrance of the school.  It was really a nice sight for ending the trip.


Today's Ride: 6hrs 58mins.  73.24 miles.  58-79 degrees.  Miles YTD:  2,860.11

No comments:

Post a Comment