161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2.15.2011 Ride: The Four Elements


Weary, is how I would say the day and ride began. After the high of the weekend, the dust settles and there is a natural low. Weary from glut muscles that are still sore from the bike spill on ice. Tempered by the crashing of the computer yesterday while we still wait to hear just how many files are lost. Discouraged by the news that funding for the NW Arkansas Regional Greenway, a wonderful 36 mile multi-use trail, may now get cut. Maybe the weariness is widespread. As I ride on Hwy 45 during what is usually a low-key time of day, drivers are giving me little extra space. There is yet another semi barreling down, not slowing at all as we approach a blind spot in the road. The car coming from the other direction is forced to move way off into the shoulder. From behind, a car passes another car in a double-yellow line area as they approach me. Always a nervous situation. Added to all that, the wind is blowing from 17 to 24 mph.  So, I'm glad to get off 45 to more sane roads. I'm headed into town for a haircut, a spur of the moment idea to help lift my spirits. A little pampering never hurts. In one neighborhood, I take a slight detour to add some extra mileage and my spirits get an unexpected lift.
Larry & Matt

I see two guys working in Sweetbriar Park and one of them turns out to be my neighbors' son, Matt, who I know since he was in 5th grade.  He and his co-worker, Larry, are doing creek restoration work.  I ride off, remembering an earlier posting of mine that talked about seeking beauty and, suddenly, I don't feel quite as weary.
Shortly after seeing Matt & Larry, I pick up the bike trail and my spirits rise a bit more. 
The haircut and stopping at the bakery for a loaf of bread turn out to be a good destination and I marvel anew at the recuperative properties of getting on the bike.
Riding back,  I'm struck by the shadows of the rail on one of the bridges.  But what is really striking is the result of the image accidentally getting rotated and the shadow looks as if it is being cast on a wall rather than the trail surface of the bridge.


Despite the wind and a more uphill ride, the return trip goes easily.  About 4 miles from home on Bridgewater Road, a bit of excitement.



A Sheriff's Deputy was on the scene when I arrived and shortly after the fire trucks arrived.  It seems that the woman at the house burned something in the yard but it quickly got out of control.  The picture of the fire to the left is probably a good 300-400 yards from the source of the original fire. During the first minute I was there, the wind spread the fire across the road for another 100 yards. 
The man in the cart is the owner of the home.  I talked with him for a few moments to see how he was doing. As might be expected, he was shaken up, as I would too, thinking that I might be responsible for burning down the entire neighborhood. Fortunately, the fire was contained to just blackening the grass.  One of these days, I will have to relate the story when I woke up with my bed on fire. 
Today's Ride:  2 hrs. 20 mins.  Miles: 25.5  60 degrees.  Wind: 17-24mph. Miles YTD: 800.01

No comments:

Post a Comment