161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Friday, February 25, 2011

2.25.2011 Ride: Miles YTD: 1,000.77


Long day which seemed to start this very early morning at 12:20 AM (just after midnight) when the weather alert radio came blasting on in Frances' house to warn of a thunderstorm (a thunderstorm?). I stumbled out of bed into the kitchen and pulled the plug from the wall.  There was no mistaking this for a distant rooster.
Three hours later I awoke for no good reason and stayed awake from 3:30 on.  Caught a few zzzz on the plane ride home but that's been it.  A very interesting drive back from the airport which I hope to expound on tomorrow as I am much too tired to do so tonight.
For some reason, I was determined to reach the 1,000 mile mark today.  I kept postponing my departure time hoping that the slightly warmer temperature predicted would kick in.  But it never did come close to 47, staying at 37 the entire time I rode. 

Tired and cold, I didn't do much stopping to take pictures today. Given that I reached a milestone of sorts in my journey today, some historical tidbits seemed in order.   The first is more well known to folks in the area but the other one is rather obscure.
Above, is a picture of the Butterfield Coach Trail taken off the bike trail in Lake Fayetteville.  I do believe that this is part of the original mail route that went from Tipton, MO, just outside St. Louis, and ran 2,800 miles to San Francisco.  This picture is also apropos for today as my ride felt as long and drawn out as if I were traveling by stage coach.

Turning off Hwy 45 on to Habberton Road, one could see this Oxford Bend sign.  It has been there for as long as we have lived here since 1990.  I have never given it much thought until today when I rode by and decided to Google "Oxford Bend" and see what came up.  Hard to find much other than it was a community back in 1834.  What I did come across that was a bit interesting, was that there was actually a Civil War skirmish there in 1832 and one person was killed and four were wounded.  That will certainly give me a new perspective as I ride by the cow pastures there.

That's about it for today.

Today's Ride:  2 hrs. 30 mins.  Miles: 27.91. 37 degrees. Miles YTD:  1,000.77
To :"Like" Biking for Food, follow this link:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Biking-For-Food/195617567118633?ref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment