161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

2.5.2011 Ride: Hockey Pants to the Rescue

Yes.  I know.  It is quite the fashion statement. 
Not as sore as I thought I would be this morning after the fall yesterday.  All the icepack applications and naprosyn seemed to pay off.  Though, sitting on the brick step leading into the garage, let me know I was still quite tender.  Some precaution was in order, much like when the quarterback with broken ribs wears a flak jacket.  I rememberd the hockey pants up in the attic from  when I played rec ice hockey up in Springdale.  A bit bulky but still loose enough to allow up and down movement of the legs for bicycling.  Most importantly, they provided good padding in exactly the spot where I was most tender.  I had the added protection around the hip bones in case I took a fall on that part of my body.

A beautiful blue-skyed day.  After riding several days in single and teen digit temperatures, I was way over dressed  and getting very warm.  But trying to strip off clothing was too much a bother.  The freshly fallen snow from yesterday made the road very rideable, the studs working well.  Though, there were still a few spots were the ice from yesterday  managed to creep through and create danger spots.
Starting off, I thought I might go at least 90 minutes.  But, about halfway through the ride I saw I was really tiring, especially going uphill.  The sore glut muscles were making my other leg muscles work that much harder.  I did not realize just what a workout I had on the ride until I got back home and I felt sore and tired all over as if I had spent the last hour tumbling down a hill.  Still, it felt good to have gotten out there and to keep the riding streak going. 

The result of a 41 year-old showing off for a 14 year-old, on how to drive a 4-wheeled drive vehicle in the snow.



Close-up of ATV vehicle tracks in the snow.

Day 5 of Ice & Snow.
Today's Ride:  65 min.  7.2 miles.  Temp: 29 at start of ride, 34 at finish.  Miles YTD:  636.97

No comments:

Post a Comment