161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

2.2.2011 Ride: 6 degrees of Separation

It's not every day that I have the opportunity to ride when it's 6 degrees, which is a new record low for me for bike riding.  It was sort of a Call of the Wild around 7:30 this morning that beckoned me to go ride "Now," while the temperature gauge still read 6.  For a few moments, it dropped down to 5 but very soon went back up.  6 was still good. 
I dressed very quickly and there was a child-like excitement once I was on the road and my very own home-made studded bicycle tires were working, expertly gripping the ice.

I rode down to Hwy 45 to see what it looked like and expected to see a fairly cleared road with lots of traffic.  But it was still completely iced-over with hardly any cars.  I rode up the hill, moving easily, feeling almost giddy at having the road to myself and at how well the tires were working.  But, not wanting to stray too far with Lupe, we returned to the neighborhood.

After getting so hot on yesterday's ride, I decided to not use the heat packs for my shoes or gloves.  After 15 minutes, my hands were already getting cold and I resorted to doing my windmill act where I'm wildly circling my arm to get warmth into my hands.  It must make for a good picture for someone passing me but it does work and my hands stayed warm for the rest of the ride.  To get my feet warm, I look for a hill to go up where I'm forced to pump harder.  It's an interesting balancing act to staying warm. 

With Lupe abandoning me after 2 miles, I headed for Hwy 45 once more to ride to the top.  Coming back down, I noticed lights in my mirror and as the vehicle approached, I couldn't believe it: another semi. I was surprised at how quickly he was traveling down the hill.  Forget worrying about me, he was an 18 wheeler coming to a good-sized curve on a steep grade of an ice-covered road.  I really expected him to end up off the side of the road but, fortunately, he made it down safely. 

By the end of the ride, my feet were a bit cold and I was proud of my ice-coated eyelashes - a sort of badge of honor.  Tomorrow I have the chance to break today's record for the coldest ride.  At 7 AM, when it will be light enough to ride, the temperature is supposed to be -5.  Cool.


Today's Ride:  65 minutes. @ 7 miles.  Miles YTD: 613.17.  Temperature: 6 degrees.  Windchill: -8

No comments:

Post a Comment