161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Friday, February 4, 2011

2.4.2011 Ride: The Sound of Falling on Ice

Day four of ice & snow.  Sitting here, typing this up about 7 hours after my ride this morning with a brace strapping an ice pack to my lower back & bottom. 
It is said that the Inuits have a gazillion words for snow.  If the ice keeps up, I will have a million words for it. 
Yesterday, after I had driven into town, I mentioned to Rachel that the condition of the ice was getting worse: it was breaking up, refreezing into chunks and developing a slick sheen.   
Heading out this morning, the ice was definitely slicker and I could see I was not going to have a repeat of yesterday's great ride.  The studs were not working quite as well and my back tire spun more as I went up hills.  But there was one section of a road in our neighborhood that turned out to be particularly treacherous.  Just topping a slight rise, my front tire gave out from beneath me and the bike went sliding down sideways between my legs.  Fortunately, I had cleats on my feet and I was able to remain standing.  A short time later, I crossed over the section of road again at a different spot.  I thought I was safely down a small downhill and on level ground when the bike slid out from underneath me a second time on a patch of ice.  I put out my foot again but this time the cleats just slid across the ice and I ended up flat on my lower back.  There was the inital "Ow," followed a second later by a more agonized "Ow."  Rubbing my lower back/butt/tail bone area, I assessed just how badly I was hurt while also thinking about my sister-in-law Nancy's fall where she shattered her elbow.  Nothing seemed seriously hurt and I quickly got up, wanting to begin riding again before things stiffened up.  Riding actually felt good but every patch of ice now seemed like a terrorist threat.  The glee and synchronicity of yesterday's ride was definitely not part of today's agenda. 
BTW:    A re-assessment of the sound of the tires.  Listening to them again today on an area where I did ride more easily, the "whomp" reminded me of a quickly spinning propeller.

Today's Ride:  65 minutes.  6 miles. 22 degrees. Miles YTD:  629.77


No comments:

Post a Comment