161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

2.22.2011 Ride: Day 2 Fay, GA. Guardian Angels

What a gorgeous spring day here in Fayetteville, GA.  I noticed this morning that it was 26 this morning in the other Fayetteville.

Many times, I will have a thought during my ride that I plan to enter in the blog.  The thought is so distinct that I am surprised later to find that I forgot to include it in the post.  Yesterday, when I was on a small stretch of road that wasn't particularly busy but where the cars that did pass seemed to do so at a fast clip, I was approaching a road where I would turn left.  There was a car behind, and I slowed to let him pass but he slowed as well and signaled that he planned to turn left.  I still waited, thinking that he would pass me to make the left turn, but he slowed even more so I stuck out my arm to indicate my left turn intentions and moved into the lane. Even after we both turned, I expected him to quickly pass me but because there was a slight rise which created a blind spot up ahead, he waited until I crested the hill and his line of sight was clear.  I waved my thanks at his patience.  I was very touched by this small act of kindness.   For a brief moment, I felt as if there was a guardian angel with me telling me that he was there to protect me and make sure I was safe.
Marie Doyle

My ride, my journey today seemed to be about guardian angels of one sort or another. I rode to the Fayette Senior Center today to talk with Marie who helps families find home services for their parents. 


When I left the Senior Center, sitting in a rocking chair was Katie.  I said hello to her and she beamed a greeting back.  I began to ride off but quickly turned around and asked if I could take her picture.  I did not know her nor had I ever seen her before coming out of the Center.  Exchanging hellos and talking with her for a few minutes,  I felt comforted and safe and cozy in this world of ours.
On my way back to the house, I took a slight detour to add a few miles. The detour was just as much to get some riding in on quiet roads as a fair amount of the ride today was competing with traffic.  For any Fayetteville, Georgian viewers, this detour was on McBride  I had come across some expensive homes with large acreage. About a 1/4 mile shy of Hwy 85, I came across the old shed in the photo sitting just off the driveway and in the front yard of a very expensive home.  I was glad to see that the owners decided to preserve the shed (home?) instead of tear it down.


And, then there's Frances, my mother-in-law (see top photo), the reason I am down here in Fayetteville, GA. "The Mother Teresa of Fayette County," is how the gentleman at a home companion company I called yesterday, referred to her.  To a woman who has helped so many over so many, many years, I am now trying to help her continue to find independence in her life. Instead of traveling about the county for causes, she now takes painstakingly slow miniscule steps and movements to get from point A to point A plus a foot.  There's no last poignant line here.  It's just a hard struggle. A hard daily journey.





Today's Ride:  83 mins.  Miles:18.  71 deg. 15-19mph winds. Miles YTD:  933.41

No comments:

Post a Comment