161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Monday, February 7, 2011

2.7.2011 Ride: The Day After

Always.  Always seeking beauty, no matter what a day of riding may have in store for me.  Yesterday may have been floating weightlessly in a bath of Dead Sea salts.  Today was walking through a hall of mirrors that randomly crashed to the floor.  Nothing in particular was that bad.  Even the the semi speeding its way around the curve into my path wasn't that close once I rode into the snow-filled shoulder. 
I decided to ride Hwy 71 south of Fayetteville and enjoy pedaling 10 miles in one direction before needing to turn around. It's not my favorite stretch of road because of the cars and scenery but it seemed as if it would be a nice change of pace.  The traffic wasn't that bad but enough for me to be ever vigilant and constantly checking my mirror to make sure that the vehicle behind me was moving over into the other lane.  Nothing is more blissful when riding on a highway than seeing the car behind turning on its signal to indicate a lane change.  People were polite and respectful, except for that one semi that wasn't even on Hwy 71; but it just wasn't yesterday's ride.  Still, I pedaled on.  Seeking beauty. Rather riding and hoping I somehow would stumble upon it.


I reached West Fork without incident even though I kept feeling an ill boding.  I thought about the woman, Teresa, I met in line at Harp's as I was coming out for the ride (another missed photo op as I love including pictures of people).  "Are you the one trying to ride everyday?" she asked me.  I felt so flattered.  Once in her past, she was a competitive cyclist, but no more.  She enjoyed following me on Facebook and cheering me on. She brought a smile to my face as I rode on 71 and beauty to my ride.


The ride back from West Fork did flow more easily even with a 15 mph headwind.  There was the clock shop whose clock did not display the correct time.  The old barn with the snow really captivated me.  And the rooster on top of the very tall barn.  I wouldn't have seen him if I hadn't heard him crowing.   
I was glad to reach Hwy 156 just north of the airport which was a quiet cut-through to Hwy 16 where I was parked.  The traffic diminshed considerably and my nerves didn't feel as rattled.  I was coming down a slight grade toward a somewhat tight curve.  Ahead of me was the only ice I had enountered on my ride today.  Two bands of thick, wide slush followed the curve of the road.  I headed for one of the cleared paths that ran almost in the center of the lane.  Behind me, I saw a semi coming down the grade. Rather than slowing down, he decided he would move into the other lane to pass me, on a curve, with double-yellow lines.  I looked ahead and I could see a car coming from the other direction but from his angle he was blind to that vehicle.  I put my hand out to indicate he should slow down.  It was too late.  He doesn't have the time and, with the snow in the road, a car coming from the other direction and a fairly tight curve, doom seemed imminent.  I can see him moving back into my lane in a path that will take him directly into me.  Quickly, I ride into the thick slush of a shoulder just as he hurdles by.  So much for the quiet cut-through.  As he passes I see he is a U.S. Mail truck, headed, I assumed, to the distribution center just up the road.  When I do reach the site, I see a semi in the parking lot backed up to the facility.  I entertain the idea of riding in and filing a complaint but why spoil a good ride.  Another mile and I'm back at my van, feeling good, somehow feeling that I have experienced beauty.

Today's Ride:  1 hr 46 min.  20.43 miles. 31 - 27 degrees. Miles YTD:  687.44



No comments:

Post a Comment