161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

3.12.2011 Ride: Conway Ride

Long day. Not of riding, but since this morning when I did ride. Back in Fayetteville after a game of soccer (lost 2-1, but won last night 4-0) and the drive home.
The 4 lane road with traffic was the start and end of my ride this morning but the bulk of the trip was along pretty roads.  I was pleasantly surprised by how bike friendly Conway has tried to make their town.


I started my ride at 8:00, so the roads were relatively quiet.  I first spied this building from two blocks away down a tree lined street.  I like the old tan bricks and the arches over the window.

I liked this curious structure by the railroad tracks that I assumed was once some sort of granary.  I thought someone had a sense of humor when I saw a sign on the building that said COVINGTON TOWERS. But when I rode around the back, I saw that this had been turned into apartments or condos.  I like that they left the long chutes on the front.


This truck was parked in the driveway of a house on a residential street I rode down. There are two stickers in particular I find very interesting and I hope once the the picture is clicked on to enlarge, they will be readable:  the Bomb Squad and the This Flag stickers.  But, I do feel and empathize for the pain and hurt that the owner of this truck must feel.  The very large POW-MIA sticker speaks volumes.  Just after taking the truck picture, I had a bit of a scare when I stopped to take off a couple of shirts.  My bike fell over and  I was concerned since it fell on the rear derailleur.  Then, I spotted my camera on the ground lying in a small puddle of water and a moment later I saw my phone as well in water.  I dried them off as well as possible and stuck them in my pockets to absorb any residual moisture.  The camera was my biggest concern as that has become as much a part of my Daily Ride as my bike.  A short while later, I came across Richard walking his three dogs and I was happy to see that the camera was still working.
Richard and, from left to right, Marley, Baby Girl and Ricky.




After leaving Richard, I came across a sprawling factory. Normally, that might not seem like the best thing to encounter on a bike ride.  But, there was something very comforting about this factory that must have covered about 5 acres.  The fact that it was sitting alone among trees gave it a special appeal. Some very nice homes were within waking distance.  There was a peace to be had in knowing that this factory helped sustain the community.  The factory turned out to be Virco, a maker of school furniture since the 1950s.





I think one might have to be a farmer to best appreciate the irony of this picture.
Mary Whistler











By the time I passed Mary on her bike, I was on a mission.  For the first 45 minutes of my morning ride, I was moving at a snail's pace, stopping quite a bit to take pictures and just enjoy my Sunday ride (on Saturday).  But then I shifted into high gear and I was determined to hit 20 miles before I had to get back to the hotel to pack up and head for the soccer field.  So, when I passed Mary, time was of the essence.  I said good morning and a quick tug of war ensued within me to stop or not to stop to ask for a picture.  Obviously, I gave in, and I'm glad I did.  Mary told me that she tried to ride every day as well.

And finally...
Rachel's soccer game was against Conway High School.  At some point during the game, I looked at the score board more intently and The Wampus Cats, caught my eye.  "What is a Wampus Cat?" I asked to the folks around.  No one had a clue but someone googled it and the creature actually has a history.  A wampus cat is from American folklore, a fearsome variation of a cougar with six legs.  It is compared to the Ewah of Cherokee mythology which is a half-woman, half-cat.  So, I'm thinking that the extra pair of legs is actually a pair of arms.  In any case, very interesting.


Today's most excellent ride:  1hr 49mins. 22.03 miles.  53 degrees.  Miles YTD:  1,300.03

No comments:

Post a Comment