161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Monday, March 7, 2011

3.7.2011 Ride: What's Two Hundredths of a Mile.


It's an odd sort of day after the Mountainburg ride.  Not so much a sense of tiredness as a disconnect, a feeling of being in a haze.
I stopped at the hardware store before doing my ride today.  I've seen Mallory many times but didn't know her by name until today.  A great smile for this grey Monday.
Being somewhat of a stickler for the truth myself, I've pondered the mileage discrepancy between my computer and mapmyride and google map's accounting. On my ride to Overland Park, KS last September,
 I happened to ride on US Hwy 69 which is basically an Interstate except in name, which is why bicycles are allowed.  There was very light traffic on the road and it cut out about 15 miles from what turned out to be an 82 mile ride that day - plus a 20-25mph head wind!  But I digress.  Riding on that route allowed me to check my computer against the mile posts, which I assumed were accurate.  After several checks, my computer was within .01 to .015 miles.  That seemed impressively close.  As I was riding today, I was calculating how much of a difference two hundredths of a mile would make.  It really seems inconsequential. But, on a 70 mile ride like yesterday, that would add up to 1.4 miles.  Again, not huge but much greater than I would have thought.  Now, I have the bug in me to find a place where I can check just how accurate my computer is.
So, the dog.  When I parked in a neighborhhod, he was on the other side of the fence.  He barked half-heartedly but quickly began wagging his tail and came closer when I talked to him.  Unfortunately, he had on an invisible fence collar and could only come within 15 feet. 
The road along the treatment plant must be extremely fertile.  There was a half mile stretch near it where there was a profusion of beer can plant blossoms. 

I mentioned a sense of disconnect that translated into a feeling of being on autopilot as I rode.  The upside to that is I rode along without much effort. But the downside is that I found I wasn't as vigilant as I usually am so vehicles seemed to sort of sneak up on me.  Fortunately, I was on very quiet roads.



As I was approaching the bridge to cross the White River on Wyman Road, a very large bird in a tree caught my eye.  As I drew closer, I realized it was actually two birds.  And, then, lo and behold, even vultures do it.  I stopped as quietly and as quickly as I could but it still wasn't fast enough.  This was shot just seconds afterward.  The female is on the left. 
I continued on to the Wyman Valley Rd, my little Shangra-La, where today I was met with a stiff head wind riding east.  Being there fit the melancholy mood of the day.
One would think after a ride like yesterday, I would have chosen a ride of least resistance for today.  But, for some reason, I seemed compelled to park up high and give myself a good steep climb for the end of my ride today which went easier than I anticipated.


Today's Ride:  74 mins.  Miles: 13.66  52 degrees.  Miles YTD: 1,205.91.
If you haven't done so yet, please check out Biking for Food at www.stpaulsfay.org/bikingforfood.

1 comment:

  1. Reading your post on riding on US 69 (and it's near interstate status), thought I'd mention that in other states (Texas included), you can ride on some/most/all of the interstate. ATX Bike Stuff covers riding on what is known locally in Austin as the "upper deck" - the very urban "express" path on IH-35 through Austin (right next to UT-Austin) and has a post on the legalities of riding on the interstate in Texas (after talking with TxDOT). Riding on the shoulder of the upper deck is likely safer than taking the frontage road "next to it" as it is a maze of on and off ramps to the lower deck.

    http://atxbs.com/?q=node/3641, http://www.atxbs.com/?q=node/476

    Safe riding!
    -ab

    ReplyDelete