161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

3.13.2011 Ride: Body Slamming an Iron-Rail Fence

A couple of catch-up items.  I wanted to pass along the link that ab gave me that lists numerous rides in the Conway area.  www.therideonline.net which is from the bike store there called The Ride.  Thanks, guys for having those routes listed.
Thinking back to my ride in rush-hour traffic in LIttle Rock, I thought of the running of the bulls in Pamplona.
The ride today, however, was a bit tamer.  After a weekend of traveling, the bike trail seemed like a good destination.  I parked at the Botanical Garden and rode the 6/10th of a mile paved segment that runs south of the garden.  This is a segment I've done many times but it is the first time I noticed the old tornado shelter about 20 feet off the trail.  In the summer, with the leaves fully bloomed, I can see how it would be easily missed.  What fascinated me about the shelter, is that it implies that there must have been a home nearby.  There was a small concrete slab about ten feet away but it didn't seem as if it was part of a house.  Other than that, there was no obvious evidence of a home.  I find it interesting how much history we probably walk or ride or drive right by every day and don't even realize.
I wasn't too far along in my ride when Rachel called to see if I could pick up some whole wheat flour for bread she was making.  We had an interesting conversation last night where she was concerned about how intensely I seemed to be getting involved with the blogging.  The bottom line was that she felt I wasn't spending time with her like I had been.  I was aware that the blogging was putting me more on edge but I didn't realize that Rachel was feeling deprived of time together.  I said I would make sure she didn't feel neglected.  It was a good talk.

On the trail, I was crossing the bridge over the spillway of Lake Fayetteville.  Coming from the opposite direction, down a hill on the left and approaching the bridge, were two teenage bicyclists.  One of them was approaching at a very fast rate of speed.  While she was still 20 feet away, I called out to her to slow down concerned that she was going to come around the curve and slam into me.  But as the distance between her and the turn quickly shrank, I realized that hitting me was the least of her problems.  Without slowing down at all, she crashed into the iron railing on the far side of the picture.  I thought for sure that I was going to have to call 911.  She came off her bike in a somewhat sideways motion, her chest and head slamming against the railing.  She was conscious and crying and holding her jaw.  I initially thought that her chest took the brunt of the hit.  A man, about in his 20s, followed who was connected with the girl but I never made out their relations.  He seemed content on just taking her home and icing her jaw but I was concerned that it might be broken.  I asked her to gently move her head to see if she felt any neck pain but she said just her jaw hurt.  Actually, she never spoke, which concerned me as well.  I tested her brakes and neither really worked.  When I squeezed on them, both the front and rear wheels continued to move rather freely.  After a few minutes, she stood up and they walked back to the parking lot to go home.  I gave him my card and asked him to please email me on how she was doing but, as of yet,  I haven't heard from him.
Pediatric Dentist off Joyce

After all that excitement, I felt the need to get some good riding in.  I did stop to click the animals crashing through the wall, another site I pass rather often and get a good smile from.  But, I pressed on, riding the trail and a good, but safe, clip and enjoying the remainder of my ride.

Today's Ride: 1hr 29mins.  17.31 miles.  55-60 degrees.  Miles YTD: 1,317.34

No comments:

Post a Comment