161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

3.9.2011: Community Meals

One of those days when...
So damp and grey and windy that it seemed much colder than the reported 41 degrees.



But, it's one of those days where once I'm on the bike, there's something about the wind that felt refreshing rather than biting.



One of those days where, when pedaling into the wind, it felt as if the wind I displaced rushed in behind me and gave me a little push.






...where drivers seemed especially respectful and where, not once but twice, after I gave a wave to a driver for giving me so much space, the driver flashed his signal once as a way of saying "you're welcome."  It's a small, but, oh so wonderful exchange of gestures.

...where it's a good thing I decided to ride when I did instead of waiting a couple of hours when the sun was supposed to show.  The day only grew greyer and colder and I even had a few sprinkles.

...where riding with the wind, at times it would be so incredibly quiet as I effortlessly sailed down the road.  I like to imagine I'm in the eye of a hurricane during those times.

And, again, the wind.  I should start cataloging the various types of wind.  Why did this wind not feel as if someone was pressing a hand hard against my chest as stiff winds often do?  And, what was there about the quality of the air that made the wind feel so exhilarating?

Invisible Fence?

Another interesting bird sighting.  I spotted three crows hovering in place and, at first, thought they were just enjoying the wind.  But, then, one of them flew down at a hawk in the top of a tall tree.  The hawk flew off and the three crows gave pursuit.  I speculated that the hawk just stole an egg from their nest.








Speaking of one of those days...it is one of those days that I look forward to every week.  Wednesday, when I go in to help cook for the Community Meals at St. Paul's.  It's a great group of caring folks and it's wonderful to be part of consistently producing great lunches for over 300 people a week.
Front to Back: Marilyn, Mary, Ellen, Pam, Debbie, Emily and Laura.
  
If you haven't do so, please check out www.stpaulsfay.org/bikingforfood where you can pledge X number of cents for every mile I ride.  100% of the money goes to food for the Community Meals.  Even if I ride 6,000 miles this year, a 1/2 cent per mile donation will only put a $30 dent in your pocket but bring very appreciative smiles to lots of people, including me who will give you the biggest smile of all. 

Today's Ride: 1hr 27mins. 15.6 miles.  40 degrees.  15-23mph winds.  Miles YTD: 1,232.71

No comments:

Post a Comment