161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

3.23.2011 Ride: Decatur, GA - Stone Mt & Back Ride

I think I found a new torture technique to use on terrorists: put them in a car and have them drive an unfathomable number of miles in a car day after day as it surely will drive them nuts having them confess whatever secret knowledge them may be hiding.  I am not sure how many miles we have driven since Spring Break began but it certainly may be deemed cruel and unusual punishment.  I guess the good news is that I haven't been able to touch a computer for over 36 hours.
Colene wished me a better day today and, yes, I did have a much better day today.  Much less driving and lots more biking.  While Rachel visited at Agnes Scott College in Decatur just outside Atlanta, I rode from there to Stone Mountain Park and back.  FYI: The college was founded in 1889 and was originally the Decatur Female Seminary.

On the way to Stone Mountain


There is actually a bike trail that runs for about 20 miles from Atlanta, through Decatur and to Stone Mountain.  When I used to live in Atlanta many years ago, Stone Mountain was a favorite haunt of mine as a place to get away.  I used to time myself as I ran to the top and then enjoyed collapsing, feeling my heart pounding away as I slowly regained my breath.  I also enjoyed just leisurely hiking up and sitting quietly.


In the very beginning of the ride today, I heard sirens and saw an ambulance pass.  A few blocks later I came across two ambulances and police cars and saw rescue workers standing over someone on the side of the road. I went over and saw that it was a bicyclist.  It turned out that he had rear ended a car.  I wasn't able to get any other details than that as one of the police officers yelled out to the crowd of people standing around (me), "All right, folks.  Let's clear out and give these people room to work."

The ride to Stone Mountain went well and I rode sometimes on the trail, sometimes on the road depending on whether I wanted to ride at a good clip and not get slowed down by all the driveways and little streets that the trail crossed.  Though, even on the road, there were a number of lights and I think the Atlanta area must have some of the longest red lights around.

In the city of Stone Mountain, just before the park, I came across David and his friendly crew.  I was impressed at how well they sat and waited patiently for me to take their picture though getting them to all look at the camera at the same time was another challenge.


Lots of bicyclists and walkers at the park and it's only Wednesday.  I wish I had time to ride around the entire mountain but I barely had enough time to ride down where I could get a good view to take a picture.  This is supposedly the largest piece of exposed granite int he world.  Back in the early 1900s, a man purchased the rock and attempted to dynamite it into chunks that he could sell for construction purposes.  Fortunately, his explosive efforts failed. 
Another man decided the rock was missing something and carved three Confederate Civil War figures.


On the ride back, I was surprised by the stiff wind I was encountering as I thought I had a head wind going out.  Either the wind changed or I remembered incorrectly; I think it was the latter. 

A view of the trail running alongside the road. 



A sci-fi plant that grows overnight and entangles the world.  Oh, wait.  That's kudzu.

I passed this eatery on my way out of Decatur and we ate here after I returned.  Inexpensive, very good and lots of character.










Today's Ride:  2hrs 20mins.  28 miles.  70 degrees. 19mph wind.Miles YTD:  1,499.45 (I should've ridden another 1/2 mile!)







1 comment:

  1. Wow! Almost 1500 miles! A bit of humor, a bit of history, a bit of trash and some great photography. Keep up the good work, Philip.

    ReplyDelete