161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

3.6.2011 Ride: Pat & Phil's Big Adventure

Pat & Philip in the middle of their Big Adventure
Even though I have participated in several long rides and events, I still seem to build up an excitement and anxiety the night before.  I had a dream last night that I showed up at the event and I had forgotten to bring my bicycle. Otherwise, I slept well.  The 26 degree reading did present a bit of a challenge and concern but the day promised to warm up quickly.

When I did arrive, I was glad to see that I had not forgotten my bike or any other essential piece of equipment.  Pat and I pushed off about 20 minutes before the official start time.  We were a bit chilly to start but not too bad.  I did a few windmills with my arms to warm up my fingers.  The lead pack caught up with us about an hour later.  In the mirror, the group was so tight that at first I thought there was a vehicle approaching as there must have been about 35 riders in that pack.  I wish I had thought to dismount and take a picture as they approached as it was rather impressive.

Staying warm & cozy

The wind was relatively calm to start and we were having a good ride, finding a nice groove, Pat and I rode well together.  Pat's thoughts were to probably go to the top of Mt. Gaylor and then head back, a ride of about 50 or so miles and I would continue to Mountainburg for the 75 mile ride.  Given that he had only done one 25 mile ride so far this year, that would certainly be a good second outing. Secretly, I was hoping that once at the top, the temptation to do the entire route would be very appealing.






I tried to get some action shots as the fast riders zoomed by.  None of the photos really came out and they certainly didn't have that blurred effect I was hoping for.  But, this one picture seemed rather interesting, especially because of the cyclist's blue gloves.







At the Top of Mt. Gaylor


Sometimes rides just go extraordinarily well. Everything seems to click and a ride feels almost effortless. We were at the top, and Pat's up for heading down the other side of the mountain, at least part way.  All right.  We don't have any delusions that coming back won't be more of a challenge but, right then, on that beautiful day, things felt very good.






I liked the weather-beaten look of these doors, though, I wished the photo captured more of the interior than the reflection of the tower.  But, I really like that the door is secured by a billiard cue.



Yes!  Once we reached the spot where Pat planned to turn around, he figured, what the heck and we continued on to Mountainburg.

The bearded cyclist is David who came up from Little Rock for the ride.  He caught up with us at the top of the mountain but didn't stop and rode on.  We caught up with him at Mountainburg, the turn-around point.  I loved his full grey beard, which seemed especially striking against bike gear and he was kind enough to pose for me.

I asked Laura, one of the BCO organizers of the event how many riders had signed in.  150, which compared to 104 from last year.





I was reaching for this last remaining quarter of a peanut butter sandwich, when someone said, "Oh, I was about to have that."  I apologized and said go ahead.  A very friendly argument ensued, where each of us insisted the other have it.  He said to split it.  No, I have plenty of food in my bag," I said. Finally, Mori took it and then he offered me some of his dark chocolate.  Of course, I had to take his picture.  At first, he told me he was from Belfast.  So what if he didn't have an Irish accent, I was fully ready to believe him.  Actually, he was from the Philippines, 20 years in New York and now Tulsa (at least that's what he told me!)  I really enjoyed meeting him..
"Look, Mom.  No hands!"

 Back up we went with a nice tail wind.  The nine miles up went well and we even passed a couple of bikers!  After going down the mountain on the north side, it was basically a level shot back to Fayetteville. We made one last quick stop at Brentwood, 15 or so miles from the end. There was an added excitement for me to this ride as I got to be part of a new long ride for Pat. His previous long was about 50 miles, which we also rode together.





One last picture of Pat once we were back, seemed in order. He was too tired to hold up his bike as I requested.

All-in-all, today was just a very excellent, excellent, excellent day.
A curious side note.  When I was pulling into the driveway at home, my first thought was that I had to go out and do my one hour Daily Ride.  Too much sun?

Today's Ride:  5hrs 47mins.  (Total time: 6hrs 45 mins).  Miles: 71.51*  30-55 degrees.  Miles YTD:  1,192.25.
* According to mapmyride, the ride was actually about 74.8 miles and according to google maps, 73.5 miles. I have checked my computer several times for accuracy during the past year and it has been very accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment