161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

3.22.2011 Ride: 5:40AM Ride

Super-Moon + 2 days as seen from a distant planet.

It has been an emotionally trying past14 hours.  That is when I had a phone call with the sales manager of a walk-in tub company.  I was trying to get back the deposit Francs made on a unit that she purchased in haste, on the spot when a salesman made a call; this is not the Frances Reeves we know.  Unfortunately, well-intentioned but misguided calls were made by those who are taking care of Frances.  To their credit, the care-giver noticed the contract on the table and took steps to help reverse the decision.  But, by the time I spoke with Joe, the sales manager, he had heard so many different versions of why she wanted to cancel that I don't blame him for not wanting to believe what I had to say.  I tried to explain the situation and untangle previous misunderstandings but it became apparent that he had no intentions to refund the deposit. 
A retake by flash of one of my favorite previous photos.

I was visibly shaking and Carol stroked my arm trying to calm me down.  That helped me try to re-focus and take a couple of deep breaths to regain my composure.  But, the conversation still quickly degenerated with voices being raised.
Once off the phone, I was still shaking and the burning sensation in my stomach was intense.  As the hours passed and we found out additional information about the sales call, it really seemed that, as good a product the company may have, they were out to bilk a client out of as much money as they could get.  I realized, too, that I was a very small David against a very experienced Goliath.  Sales is definitely not my forte and here I was trying to negotiate in good faith with a well-seasoned sales manager.  Looking back at the conversation, I recognized sales tactics that are meant to disarm any challenges, such as of the "you don't trust me?" nature. 
Catalpa Trees from which catalpa worms are harvested.
If I would try to restate what he was saying, he would say I was putting words in his mouth.  But he had no qualms to tell me what I was thinking.
If it weren't for Ambien, I would not have gotten to bed last night and when I awoke at 4:30, the conversation immediately populated my head.  I got out of bed and prepared for my ride and glad that I had the foresight to bring my lamp. A beautiful morning with light traffic.  But, the conversation from the day before again filled my thoughts, making the ride move very quickly.
There is the feeling of a wounded warrior, feeling very humbled and a sense of humiliation for not being able to wage a better argument. I know time will heal the wounds I feel and I know that we still have options available to us to get the deposit back.  But. still...

Two bright spots on my ride.  I enjoyed revisiting and taking a flash picture of the rocking chair on the porch.  I also revisited a tree grove that I came across when I biked here from Arkansas back in 2009.  In 2009, the trees were in full bloom and long string bean-like pods were hanging down.  The owner of the grove was working among the trees and I stopped to ask him about the plants.  It turned out that they were catalpa trees and he harvested the caterpillars that live only on that tree and which make good fishing bait.  I believe he said he had the largest catalpa farm in the country and shipped nationwide. 
Just past this dark spot in the road where the trees grew high and blocked out any moon light or any other source of lighting, I heard this loud rustling/scraping sound.  At first I thought it was a deer making its way through the woods next to me.  But, the scraping noise intensified and sounded more as if some large animal (dog? human?) was trying to crash through or climb a wooden fence.  I was not eager to find out and pedaled as quickly as possible with some slipping of the chain and gears thrown in for added drama.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Today's Ride:  63miins.  11.4 miles.  55 degrees.  Miles YTD: 1,471.45

No comments:

Post a Comment