161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

3.1.2011 Ride: Imagine

"Life is like a strong opiate; once you get high and hooked on it, you keep needing more and more."

Tree and Fence at 11:30 PM



Early Morning Fog in Valley
Rachel and I arrived home just after 11:00 last night from the soccer game.  The thirty miles east of Tahlequa are very hilly and curvy and, from what I could see it the dark, it seemed as if it would make for a pretty bike ride.  I'm never able to go straight to bed after a late night out.  Even though it was in the mid 30s, there was no wind and the stars were out and Lupe was more than happy to join me for a late night walk.  I was already anticipating and looking forward to the next morning and the ride ahead.  I had a dentist appointment at 11:00 and I wanted to stop at Lowe's beforehand, so, that meant leaving around 9:00 when it would only be in the mid 30s. The good news was that by the time I left the dentist office, it would be near 60.
 Sunrise as Seen Off of Windows of Houses in the West

A curious thing is happening with riding.  Given that I managed less than 6 hours of sleep and the temperature was in the mid 30s this morning, one would think that a tough tug-of-war would be playing out in my head over whether I should ride or drive.  But, the night before, driving wasn't even an option and it wasn't an option this morning either.  It was as if biking was my only option. This led me to imagining, as I rode off this morning, a world where bikes were the primary form of transportation.  It seemed very ideal and beautiful for a few miles as it would totally change our perspective on how and when we would get things done. 
Roads without Cars



Of course, without the cars, the roads would be covered with bikes, much like they were in China back in the 1960s and 70s.







Kevin & Keith


At Lowe's, I needed to buy three door sets and have them keyed where one key worked for all three locks.  This isn't an especially noteworthy event but Kevin (and I may have the names backwards - sorry guys!) was teaching Keith how to key the new lock.  Thus, I got a lesson as well and it was interesting following the process.





Bench on Lake Fayetteville Bridge 






Judy, my hygienist, on the fine art of flossing daily.










Something about this red door with the address of 3333.  Not sure if that is supposed to be a primitive wooden cross or not on the door.












 Detail from Son's Chapel Church


I took several pictures of the tree shadows dancing on the pavement.  Many variations and I finally settled on this one.  Thank goodness we don't live in a world where bikes are the main mode of transportation or I never would have gotten this picture taken.

Today's Ride:  2 hrs 1 min.  22.61 miles.  39-63 degrees.  Miles YTD: 1,075.27

1 comment:

  1. I love the abstracted images you posted, especially the bench on the bridge.

    ReplyDelete