161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

3.2.2011 Ride: Close Encounters of the Third Kind

   
I am not sure, but I believe that the picture to the left represents mathematical/trigonometric functions scrawled across the sky by Earthlings in an attempt to communicate with other intelligent life forms in the Universe.

Time is an odd creature.  With the day very busy, I hop on the bike and take off, quickly pedaling down the road as if to hurry and get my ride in.  It takes me a moment to realize that it doesn't matter how fast I pedal as my ride is determined by the clock, 60 minutes.   I'm glad I chose time as the defining measure of my ride as opposed to distance.  Today, I decided to do the Big Hill two times in anticipation of the 75 mile 71 Classic ride on Sunday.  If distance was what determined my official ride, I would have been less inclined to tackle the Big Hill today.

Today was one of those days where the wind feels as if it is with me no matter what direction I'm riding.  There was a pretty good wind out of the east but even when traveling in that direction, the wind seemed to be on my side.   There are times as well when it will seem as if a section of road has a magnetic draw to it so that I feel as if I'm propelled effortlessly down the road regardless of the conditions.  There is a section of road in my neighborhood that is like that.  Conversely, I have hit a section of  road that I seem to slog through no matter what the conditions.
And then there is light.  I passed the door in the picture this morning after dropping Rachel off at school and heading for the recycling center.  The sun was low and hitting the door just right.  I should have pulled over and taken the picture then but I was afraid I might be late for Community Meals.  So, I swung by later but it just wasn't the same. The sun now had a slight haze over it.  And, notice the shadow from the overhang; it was not there when I first drove by as the sun was lower.  This is the door for Word Work on Hill Ave.
So, on this busy day, where I now need to get ready for Rachel's soccer game this evening, I leave you with this close, very gentle, equine encounter.


Today's Ride: 63 mins.  Miles:  11.07. 65 degrees.  Miles YTD: 1,086.34

No comments:

Post a Comment