161 Days of Continuous Riding.

…204 Days to go.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

3.17.2011 Ride: Southern Comfort

It was tempting to squeeze in a ride earlier in the day just around the neighborhood so that I could get today's post completed.  But, I love destination rides and Rachel had another soccer game this evening.  So, here I am at almost 10:00 PM working on today's post.
I ended up taking my pannier bags today, wind and all, as Carol forgot to bring a jacket for tonight's game.  That was just as well as I need to start getting ride-time in with the bags as I have a 7 day road trip scheduled for mid-April (more on that another day). The wind was blowing harder than yesterday and the majority of today's ride would be against the wind.  Though the bags were lightly packed, I could definitely feel them acting as sails and I got a good workout.
I don't plan to highlight all the litter I pick up on the front end of the post, but I like this Southern Comfort bottle and thought that that would make a good name for my bike. 


Bluffs looking over an arm of Beaver Lake off Habberton Rd.

I've taken a picture of these bluffs before, but it's been awhile, different time of day, different lighting.  I certainly don't tire seeing them every time I ride by them, so I don't think you'll mind another look.

Ulis with his son John and grandson, Harvie. 

Shortly past the bluffs, I passed two vehicles, one with it's hood up.  The white and blue VW caught my eye and I stopped to chat.  Turned out the other VW, the more late model one, was having clutch problems.  I forgot to ask Ulis about the meaning and origin of his name and a Google search was of no help.  So, Ulis, if you happen to read this and would like to write a comment, I would be interested in knowing.  The VW bug belongs to Ulis.  Hope you were able to get the clutch problem fixed.


This picture was taken on Guy Terry Rd, just before coming to Butterfield Coach Rd.  I thought this was an interesting perspective of the area, with the development in the background encroaching on the pastureland in the foreground.


On George Anderson Rd, which borders the development and the pastures, is a farm/ranch where this Brahman bull resides.  If you look carefully, you will see several extra pairs of thinner legs underneath: two calves.  Seeing the calves threw me off and I started thinking that I didn't know it was possible for a cow to have two offspring at one time.  It took me another moment to remember that this was a bull I was looking at and not a cow and I found it surprising how protective the bull was being.






My ride was coming to an end as I wound through downtown Fayetteville on the way to the high school.  I was glad to come across this group which made a fitting picture for St. Patrick's Day.  Thanks, guys!



Today's Ride:  2hrs. 34mins.  27.28 miles.  73 degrees.  15-20mph wind.  Miles YTD:  1,402.26

3 comments:

  1. Philp your blogs are so interesting and educational and I love your pictures. Isn't it amazing that things that we see everyday we don't REALLY see until they become photo ops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura and Colene. Yes, it has been fun trying to see the every day in a new light.

    ReplyDelete